Right next door to Café Asia is my other favorite Rosslyn dinner and happy hour spot: Piola! Located in Istanbul, South America, Italy, Canada, and the United States, this restaurant is everything you want after the work day ends. It is colorful, lively, trendy, quality, and inexpensive.
I knew Piola had one or two specials, but after perusing their website, I learned that their list of deals is really extensive:
- L’Aperitivo Italiano: This is the happy hour I was referencing. It goes from 4:30 to 8:00pm at the bar, and from 4:30 to 7:00pm everywhere else – which is pretty great, considering most restaurant happy hours only count in the bar area! The deals apply to a variety of drinks: every beer, house red & white wines, sangrias, and specialty cocktails. If you hang out by the bar, waiters will walk by constantly with abundant plates of free pizza and other appetizers!
- Late Night Pizza & Beer Combo: I don’t know if we’ll ever take advantage of this one, but I’m sure Piola is trying to get a weekend crowd along with their after-work crowd. This deals applies every Friday and Saturday night, from 10:00pm until 1:00am. You can get any Piola pizza with any beer for $12. The catch is that you can’t use this for takeout; you have to dine in.
- Lucky Gnocchi Day: On the 29th of every month, you can eat unlimited homemade Gnocchi in various sauces for a set price. I must say that this was the first Piola deal I’d ever heard of… because my dear husband won an eating contest among his coworkers when they all took advantage of Lucky Gnocchi Day one time!
- Half-Price Wine Bottles: On Monday nights, after 7:00pm.
- Pizza Hour: All pizzas are $7 from 5:00 to 6:00pm… every day except Sunday.
Our favorite deal combo is ordering happy hour drinks during “Pizza Hour.” To make this happen, you have to get in before 7:00pm though!
What about specific recommendations? Our favorite pizza lately has been the Ragusa: Pancetta (Italian bacon) rolls, gorgonzola, tomato sauce, and mozzarella. We’ll often add basil too. The bacon and gorgonzola mix is just explosive.
When we’re really hungry and we want to order an “antipasti” as well, we’ll usually get the Caprese (fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil) or the Italia Unita (Parma ham, Speck, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, served with house bread and sun-riped apricots). The Italia Unita is a LOT of food — and delicious with wine!
Everyone needs a good, wallet-happy Italian place, and Piola is that restaurant for us. If you haven’t tried it out for one of these deals, I hope you will soon!
Above: Piola gave us a complimentary after-dinner liqueur last time we went!